Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Bourbon Renewal

Tonight's cocktail is one that Peyton brought home from Portland, the Bourbon Renewal. If you're like us, you sometimes just collect interesting liqueurs. At the risk of sounding utterly ridiculous, I insisted that we buy a bottle of creme de cassis because I have fond memories of studying abroad in France and drinking more than my fair share of Kir Royals, but that's a story for another time.

The Bourbon Renewal is the invention of Jeffery Morgenthaler, bar manager at Clyde Common in Portland, Oregon. What I love about this drink is that the black currant flavor sort of rubs up against the caramel and vanilla notes in the Four Roses Single Barrel Bourbon. And, at the risk of being too sweet, the lemon juice adds just the right amount of acidity and brightness to the cocktail. Needless to say, it is a new household favorite. Here are the ingredients:

2 oz bourbon (We used Four Roses Single Barrel, my favorite bourbon)
1 oz fresh lemon juice
1/2 oz creme de cassis (There are a number of brands, all of them are inexpensive. We used Mathilde's Creme de Cassis.)
1/2 oz simple syrup
1 dash Angostura bitters
Ice

Shake ingredients with ice and strain over fresh ice into an old-fashioned glass (or, if you're Peyton, just combine everything and stir until cold). Morgenthaler recommends garnishing with a lemon wedge, or, if in season, fresh currants, but we have been drinking them sans garnish. Salut!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds terrific! That is my favorite bourbon, as well, but I don't really drink bourbon except in cocktails, so I usually buy one that is less expensive. Maybe I should just live a little ;-) Also, I'm curious -- why the aversion to shaking? I try not to take "the rules" too seriously, but I have found that when you have juice in the drink, the shaking really does add that extra bit of oomph, and you get that beautiful paper-thin layer of froth across the top. I will say that I didn't like to shake either until I got a shaker I really like, so maybe you guys just need to do some shopping!

    ReplyDelete