Monday, October 28, 2013

The Boulevardier

Tonight's cocktail is the Boulevardier, close cousin to the Negroni. This is a classic recipe, but the particulars of this one come to you from Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails by Ted Haigh, AKA Dr. Cocktail (this book is AWESOME, by the way and I highly recommend it). According to the good doctor's research, the Boulevardier first appeared in print 1927, in Harry McElhone's (ex-barman at the Plaza Hotel and owner of Harry's New York Bar) Barflies and Cocktails.

For this one, you'll need:

  • 1 1/2 oz bourbon (I've used Evan Williams, which is probably one of my favorite mixing and plain old drinking bourbons, but you could use anything)
  • 1 oz Campari
  • 1 oz Carpano Antica sweet vermouth (again, the Carpano is suggested, but any sweet vermouth will do in a pinch)
  • Garnish: Cherry (we have some really fancy Luxardo cherries that I like to use), lemon peel, or orange slice
  • Ice
Throw the bourbon, Campari, and vermouth in an ice-filled shaker. Shake until chilled and strain into a cocktail glass. Put the garnish in and enjoy.

This is basically a Negroni with bourbon instead of gin, and honestly I prefer this to the Negroni. I feel like the bourbon sweetens up the Campari, whereas the gin keeps it fairly bitter. I like both drinks though, so make sure you try 'em both and see which you prefer.



I feel like I have to come clean about the shaker business here--I rarely (and I mean rarely) use a shaker. I really only ever use one if someone is having a Martini (which I never do, but occasionally my sweetheart likes a Gibson) or if we have company and I want to be classy. I usually just put everything in an old-fashioned glass, fill it with ice, and stir until it is chilled. I will admit there is something nice about using a shaker, mainly that your drink gets COLD fast, but I tend to struggle with not making a mess. So, if you don't use a shaker, don't feel bad, because I'm right there with you.

3 comments:

  1. Supposedly if all the ingredients are booze, you don't need to shake it anyway! I totally feel you about the shaker, though. I went for a long time avoiding the shaker because the one we had was crappy, and every time I used it, it leaked and dripped and got sticky all over everything. It was also too big. I don't know why they make shakers so large. I was shopping around contemplating trying something else -- thinking I should just do a Boston shaker, which is the kind that just has a metal cup and a glass and you knock them together and by some kind of magic that has to do with cold ice cubes, they form a bond and don't go all over the floor. I know they use these in bars, I've seen them do it. But they scare me. I don't want to mop. Before I decided on one, though, my sister gave me my current shaker as a birthday present, and it works great. It's smaller, and the lid fits tightly without being difficult to take apart when you're done (that was the other problem with the old shaker). I can actually pour out of the lid strainer without making a mess. Also, she had it engraved to say "Potions Master", a Harry Potter reference ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, also -- I think I might like the Boulevardier even more than the Negroni, which is surprising, since I tend to prefer gin over bourbon. Maybe because bourbon and sweet vermouth go so well together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You hit the nail on the head with why I don't like to use shakers--they make a huge mess! I have two sizes currently: one that's good for a 3 oz or less drink, and one that's good for an 8 oz or less drink (or a double batch of something). They both have problems. One is leaky, I can't get the cap off of either of them when they are cold, and one of them I can't get the whole lid off to change the ice. I tried using the Boston shaker method the other day, and that just ended up with red liquid on the carpet. Could you send me a link of the one you got as a present? I'd be willing to give another model a shot! Also, the "Potions Master" thing is pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete