Sunday, October 27, 2013

Chet Helms

The latest issue of Imbibe Magazine had a pretty big section devoted to pisco. I'd never had it, and the only drink I'd ever heard of using it is the Pisco Sour. The egg in a PS makes me kind of nervous (I'm still new to eggy cocktails) so I looked for another recipe using pisco and found the Chet Helms on the Imbibe website. I always feel really good about myself when I have all the ingredients for one of these cocktails.

  • 1 1/2 oz pisco
  • 1/2 oz Carpano Antica sweet vermouth
  • 1/2 oz Campari
  • 1/2 oz fresh lemon juice
  • 3 dashes rhubarb bitters (I like Fee's)
  • Club soda
  • Ice
Put the pisco, vermouth, Campari, lemon juice, and bitters in a shaker filled with ice. Shake it up and strain into an ice-fille collins glass. Fill it the rest of the way with club soda and garnish with an orange wedge and mint. 

This has become a house favorite. It's boozy, but not overwhelmingly so and it is quite refreshing. I highly recommend this one.


2 comments:

  1. I read the pisco section of the last Imbibe with interest, but I am reluctant to buy another bottle of something I don't know what to do with yet :-) I have had pisco in a bar in Seattle, though, and it was good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melinda, I know what you mean about buying yet another bottle that you have no idea what to do with. That Imbibe issue really intrigued me, and pisco was fairly inexpensive, so I didn't feel too bad about dropping 20 bucks on a bottle. I have been really happy about the Chet Helms, and I made another drink that is similar to a Pisco Sour (with egg white, which makes me feel a little gross). I know you're like me with the cocktail books, and I love to have random ingredients on hand for those eclectic recipes. You should really get yourself a bottle and go for it!

      Delete