Thursday, October 31, 2013

The Corpse Reviver #2

In honor of the spookiest of nights, tonight our cocktail is the Corpse Reviver #2. I'm pulling this recipe from the book I used for the Boulevardier, Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails. The Corpse Reviver is more of a class of drinks than just one drink--as the name implies, these are drinks intended to cure hangovers. After drinking one of these, I'm not sure how much curing it does, other than the fact that it extends how long you are drunk (thus, no hangover, at least for the time-being). The famous (infamous?) cocktail book, The Savoy Cocktail Book, originally published in 1930 by Harry Craddock, warned of this drink, "Four taken in swift succession will unrevive the corpse again." Yeah. I'm pretty sure he was right about that.

The ingredients:

  • 1 oz gin (I used Plymouth)
  • 1 oz Cointreau (we are out of Cointreau so I used Grand Marnier)
  • 1 oz Lillet Blanc
  • 1 oz fresh lemon juice
  • 1 to 3 drops of absinthe or pastis (I used Absente)
  • Garnish with one unstemmed cherry dropped in the bottom of the glass
Combine all ingredients (except the cherry) in an ice-filled shaker, shake until chilled, and serve. I actually used a shaker for this one, so go me. I've found that the absinthe can sometimes be really overpowering, but the lemon knocks the oomph out of it in this drink. It's quite tart and that masks the flavor of the booze, which can be dangerous (hence, the four in a row unreviving the dead). This is a tasty cocktail, and I'll be adding it into my normal rotation more often.


1 comment:

  1. Oh, I missed that you made this! This is my favorite cocktail! I have never made it with Grand Marnier. I know that Ted Haigh's book says to garnish with a cherry, but I have always garnished with a twist. Also, I recently got a bottle of Cocchi Americano, which supposedly has a more pronounced quinine flavor, and I've been wanting to try to make a CR#2 with it replacing the Lillet Blanc, thinking that it might be similar to the Kina Lillet of old. But I haven't tried it yet!

    ReplyDelete